● Lee Quo Wei Law Library: 3943 8641
● Legal Resources Centre: 3943 0927
Westlaw has launched a new interface called Westlaw Asia. It is a single platform for searching Asian legal materials across multiple countries within a single search. It is an ideal tool for comparative law research, and a significant time saver.
Please note: Westlaw HK and Westlaw International have been officially replaced by Westlaw Asia and Westlaw Next respectively since December 31st, 2015.
SEARCHING FOR LEGAL MATERIALS:
Search HK and UK legal materials in Westlaw Asia. Go to Westlaw Next to search Australia, Canada, U.S., E.U. and international legal materials.
1. Search across material types, such as HK Cases, HK Legislation, HK Commentary, HK Current Awareness, HK Journal articles and UK materials by using connectors, e.g AND, OR, “ “.
2. Select (a) jurisdiction(s).
3. Enter your search term(s) with/without operator(s).
4. Click Natural Language to use natural language to search.
5. Click on Westlaw Next link at the top of the screen to access Australia, Canada, U.S., EU legal materials and legal journals.
6. Click Commentary tab and/or ProView tab for ebooks.
VIEWING YOUR SEARCH RESULTS:
To read ProView ebooks on Westlaw Asia, please do the following:
1. Click ProView tab
2. Click “Take me to my ProView Digital Library”
3.Check off “Web Browser” box
4. Check off “Access by IP” box
5. You can select “Remember MyChoice” – you will not be asked to check off the boxes again
6. Click “Launch ProView”
7. Click on an ebook cover for reading full text.
TERMS & CONNECTORS FOR SEARCHING THE DATABASE:
|AND||& (or a space)||Search terms in the same document:
trade & mark & registration
|OR||or||Either search term or both:
car or automobile
|Phrase||" "||Search terms appearing in the same order as in the quotation marks:
|/s||Search terms in the same sentence:
nuisance /s smell
|/p||Search terms in the same paragraph:
hearsay /p admissibility
|+s||The first term preceding the second within the same sentence:
burden +s proof
|+p||The first term preceding the second within the same paragraph:
right +p counsel
|Numerical Connectors||/n||Search terms within "n" terms of each other (where "n" is a number):
person /3 jurisdiction
|+n||The first term preceding the second by "n" terms (where "n" is a number):
capital +3 punishment
|BUT NOT||%||Documents not containing the term or terms following the % symbol:
taxation % income
Use the % connector with caution; it may cause relevant documents to be excluded from your search result
To watch Westlaw Asia training videos, please click here.