Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About the Hackathon
We are pleased to invite all CUHK students and staff to join the Data Hack 2021 and pre-hackathon workshops.
Main Theme: Post-COVID-19 Opportunities: What People want to Do After the Pandemic
- Health and Ageing Issues
- Leisure, Retail and Tourism
- Media, Culture and Entertainment
- Financial Industry
Date: 21 May 2021 (Fri) – 23 May 2021 (Sun)
- Promoting innovation skills, including data and digital competency to CUHK students and staff
- Enhancing multi-disciplinary and multi-dimensional collaboration among CUHK students and staff
- Within 48 hours, participants will apply knowledge and skills from what they have learnt in the pre-hackathon workshops about data mining to solve the current problem in the Post-COVID-19 era. Participants shall select one sub-theme among the four and work as a one group to provide a solution in an innovative way. Participants will have a group presentation of their solutions in Day 3.
- The winning presentations will be awarded various prizes.
Eligibility and Registration
We welcome CUHK students and staff to join the Data Hack 2021 in teams or as individuals. To join in teams, each group should have 3 to 5 members and should comprise of students from both faculty groups 1 and 2:
Group 1: Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Business Administration, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Social Science
Group 2: Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Science
Please register here.
Deadline for registration is 20 May 2021 (Thu).
Pre-hackathon workshops on cloud computing services and data preparation are arranged for participants to get prepared for the Data Hack 2021 and/or learn new resources and skills. Please go to Workshops page for details.
Team Prizes (sponsored by the CUHK Library):
- Champion: HKD4,000 of e-voucher
- 1st Runner up: HKD2,000 of e-voucher
- 2nd Runner up: HKD1,000 of e-voucher
Gifts (sponsored by Amazon Web Services (AWS)):
- Free USD 100 AWS credits and AWS phone charging cables (with 3 types of output) for every participant who have signed up AWS Educate platform.
- AWS laptop bags for the winning team
- Originality (30%)
- Impact (40%)
- Feasibility (20%)
- Affordability (10%)