● Lee Quo Wei Law Library: 3943 8641
● Legal Resources Centre: 3943 0927
Lexis HK is a full text database that provides access to cases, legislations and journal articles on all aspects of law. Source documents include Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, other Commonwealth countries, and PRC.
SEARCHING FOR LEGAL MATERIALS:
1. Quick Search: i. Enter word(s) or phrases in the search box. You may use connectors to define relationships between terms. Click Help for more information on using connectors.
ii. You may search across all subscribed sources or a particular type of materials by de-selecting the category as a source. You can select Hong Kong to search Hong Kong materials or All jurisdictions to search across all countries available in Lexis.
2. Content Specific Search: provide an advanced search of a particular source. Click the Case tab to search cases with more search options, the Legislation tab to search legislation, the Commentary tab to search HK and UK commentaries, the Forms tab to search HK and UK forms and precedents, the Journals tab to search journal articles.
3. My Bookshelf: click Browse to view the table of contents and locate the information from that or click Search to search the information.
4. Lexis China: click Lexis China at the top right hand side of the screen to access PRC legal materials.
VIEWING YOUR SEARCH RESULTS:
TERMS & CONNECTORS FOR SEARCHING THE DATABASE:
|AND||Links words or phrases that must appear together in the same document, no matter how close or far apart:
bank AND deregulate
|OR||Links synonyms, antonyms, alternate forms of expression, etc. Broadens search results:
outlook OR forecast OR trend
|W/N||Locates search terms within a certain number (N) of words of each other. Does not specify word order:
market W/5 share (read: market within five words of share)
|W/S||Looks for documents with search words in the same sentence; cannot be combined with the W/N:
Copyright W/S fair dealing
|W/P||Looks for documents with search words in the same paragraph;cannot be combined with the W/N:
airline W/P merger
|AND NOT||Looks for documents in which a search word or phrase is to be excluded:
trust AND NOT charitable
To watch training videos of searching legal materials on Lexis, please click here.